Are packing cubes TSA approved or not? This may confuse people a lot. Time and space are the most valuable things in every aspect of life. Airlines are also concerned about these two things and mention them very strictly in their guidelines. Now, the passengers must pay for each packing space they acquire. This has been troubling the travelers who love to carry a lot of stuff. But the packing cubes are somehow solving their problems by saving the cost of multiple bags. Placing packing cubes in an organized way is the best way to pass the TSA security guidelines easily. Categorize the packing cubes you are using, so that you can access everything without any mess.
There are lots of things that are not allowed by TSA to carry in a carry-on bag, but the same is allowed in a checked bag. There are some exceptions that need to be followed by each passenger, carrying packet cubes. In this article, you are going to learn about the approval criteria of TSA for packing cubes. You can also choose your desiring packing cube by considering the facts given at the end of this article. And, if you are not aware of the benefits of these packing cubes, then this page is going to be helpful for you.
What are Packing Cubes?
A packing cube is a quite small flexible container, which fits inside any luggage to organize things systematically. It comes in varied sizes, materials, shapes, and forms including the zip-closure form. You can buy them in sets or individually, depending upon your needs. You can also mix them with other sized packing cubes to make a perfect luggage bag. These packing cubes are so compatible and can fit in any luggage bag or suitcase.
You may pack your items in packing cubes for saving money on airlines, but are packing cubes TSA approved? You must think about it before buying any type of packing cube or luggage bag. Its variety includes high compression zippers, two-sided cubes, drawer cubes, and many others. These are helpful at places where you need to separate your dirty and clean clothes nicely. They compress your clothes to a lesser size and save a lot of space for other items. You can quickly get your medicines, napkins, and other important things, without wasting a single minute. Here are some benefits of packing cubes, which you must know before traveling with heavy luggage:
- You can buy them in your desired size and shapes, which include a rectangular, square, circular, and hexagon packing cube. You can buy them in different lengths, heights, and widths. Their assorted sizes are the main reason behind their compatibility.
- They help in organizing every luggage from clothes to toiletries. You even sort your clothes into bottoms, tops, underwear, and overcoats.
- They keep your clothes away from wrinkling, dusting, and mixing with other clothes. You can pack your things by rolling them in adjustable sizes, and still, there will be no wrinkles while unpacking. You should follow the management ideas of placing clothes from A to B.
- They make everything easier. Whether it is TSA checking, organizing, repacking, handling, or finding things instantly, everything is on your tips. You can name specific cubes for specific things or buy a packing cube with a mesh panel. This will help you to look inside your cube without opening it.
- Ladies can use it as a cosmetic bag too. A packing cube can be a first aid box, touch-up kit, documentation kit, food carrier, or a keeper for phone accessories. It is so common to use them for keeping baby food, cables, and other small devices.
- They save lots of time and space while traveling through any airline. It saves your extra money spent on extra luggage bags.
- They may act as comfortable pillows while traveling long distances. The compressed cloths in them act as a small cushion for the head.
- You can also pack these packing cubes in advance, for every time you travel in the future.
Does TSA approve Packing Cubes?
Are packing cubes TSA approved or not? This section will clear all your doubts about it. According to TSA guidelines, 15 packing cubes are allowed per person. Even the TSA itself has motivated people to use packing cubes so that checking will become easy for you and security guards as well. TSA allows you to carry only a specific category of things in your packing cubes. Although, they do not bother about the size of the packing cube but inspect every bag through individual screening. Sometimes, they even call you to open the bags on certain doubts. Most of the time, people think about replacing packing cubes with vacuum bags. But, if the TSA checkers found you are suspicious, they will not care about your bag, but only the objects it carries. This makes it hard to seal those bags again.
All these rules are for the security and safety of the people traveling. In the continuation of TSA guidelines, the 3-1-1 rule is the most important rule for the people carrying packing cubes. It states that everything should be in a maximum limit of 3.4 ounces, with only one quart-sized bag. This 3-1-1 rule is specially made for all liquids, creams, and specific food items. If you love to carry powders with you, then remember to keep them less than 12 ounces. You can read about the variety of items to be avoided while carrying a packing cube.
List of Items to be avoided in Packing Cubes
Some items have no restrictions or rules from carrying in packing cubes like baby food, breast milk, and completely frozen food items. Even necessary medicines and medical equipment are checked separately by the TSA screening and their special officers. According to the TSA guidelines, the below-listed items are strictly restricted from carrying in any luggage bag or a packing cube:
- Cooking spray
- Alcoholic beverages
- Bang snaps
- Blasting caps
- Butane and Propane
- Gas torches
- Liquid bleach
- Torch lighters
- Spray paint
- paint thinner
- Gun lighters and Flares
- Medical marijuana
- Pellet guns
- Gun powder
- Flammable liquids
Choosing the best Packing Cube
Are packing cubes TSA approved? This question has been clearly solved above. But it is also common to get confused between the wide varieties of packing cubes. You must analyze your needs before going for any option. These factors can be helpful to you in choosing the best packing cube:
- Material: People, who want to carry liquid toiletries, or go on an adventurous trip, must buy a waterproof packing cube. It will help to save your other luggage from accidental leakage. You can also keep your wet shoes, clothes, curling irons, hairdryers, and other hair styling products in it. These types of cubes are manufactured by using anti-microbial materials.
- If you do not want to unpack these bags to find things by looking inside them, then transparent cubes are your type. It will enable you to find things without opening those compressed cubes.
- If you want to manage small accessories, then choose a compact packing cube. And, if you are looking to manage clothes inside them, then go for its bigger size.
- Use higher-compression cubes with two zippers while traveling to colder places. They do not even require a vacuum to compress things. Compression is managed by the second zip in these types of packing cubes.
- If you have kids with you, then choosing a colorful packing cube will be a good option. To pack everything more professionally, you must buy different colored cubes with a specific color-coding.